Pages

Monday 21 May 2012

Bluenose 2012!

Running has never been my thing. Knees are fragile, and for the amount of abuse they must withstand, terribly constructed. You only get one set of knees, and once they go, you are potentially limiting your training for the remainder of your life. Surgery means a lot of time off for athletes, so I've stayed away from running, as I have heard that is terrible on your knees, due to the natural high impact of running.

I just recently started to research the subject, as my girlfriend has started running and very much enjoys it. It would be a good activity for both of us, but I have been very hesitant for the reasons previously discussed. In my research I found mixed opinion on the subject of running and the subsequent joint pain. A recent article by time.com states that "not only is there no connection between running and arthritis, the new studies say, but running — and perhaps regular vigorous exercise generally — may even help protect people from joint problems later on."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html#ixzz1vVj81X94

This has me thinking a bit. Perhaps with proper after care, it is possible to prevent joint degeneration? Ashley may have a running partner soon!

Ashley (my girlfriend of 7 years! I KNOW I KNOW), recently ran in the 10k Bluenose race! This is only her second race, and has been only been running for a few months. She placed really well, and with a great time! Ashley has had a few knee surgeries in her past, which is why I'm surprised that she doesn't find much pain in her knees when she competes! I asked her a few questions:

What made you want to start running? I just wanted a goal to work towards.

What was your first goal? Run 5km.

What obstacles have you had to overcome to meet your goals. Knee and ankle injuries.

How have you overcome these obstacles? Learning to stretch properly. Listening to my body and resting when necessary.

What can you do besides running to increase your aerobic capacity? How else do you train? Strength/endurance training. Kettle bells and various cardio equipment.

What's next for you? Another 10km for sure. In the longer term, I would also like to train and eventually complete a half and maybe a full marathon.

Another aspect of running that I wanted to mention was the huge amount of positive vibes being put out there by the Bluenose event. Everyone was having a great time, and feeding off each others energy. This race was PACKED with people. Waiting for the race to commence, the competitors were shoulder to shoulder and in a really confined space. Despite these uncomfortable conditions, everyone seemed to be in great moods and spoke words of encouragement to each other. So many people ultimately with the same goal; to persevere through anything thrown there way, and to finish the race. I can see how people get addicted to running. Besides the obvious physical health benefits, the mental benefits are extreme. I wasn't even competing in the race, and I just wanted to get in there and join the party!

For additional information about the Bluenose Marathon, go here.

I want to finish off with congratulating Ashley on her recent win! She worked hard through physical and mental challenges to get to this point. You're awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment